Our world has changed dramatically over the past quarter century. These changes not only affect the way we think, but more importantly, the way we interact – increasing the level of interdependence between people, cultures and nations. Providing today’s students with the knowledge and skills necessary to embrace these challenges and opportunities is at the core of Appleby College’s educational experience.
One of Canada’s preeminent independent schools, Appleby is recognized for its innovative and global outlook on education. Today, it provides girls and boys from Canada and 47 other countries the opportunity to gain insights and understanding of each other and their world. Founded in 1911, Appleby continues to embrace the vision of its founders, “to produce among its youngsters, potential leaders for the nation and the world.”
No other school – independent or public – embraces the challenges of this international actuality more than Appleby.
The foundation of Appleby’s educational experience is the integration of classroom teachings with out-of-class academic experiences, local and international service, and residential and global intercultural learning. “At Appleby, we believe our students learn as much outside of the classroom as they do in it. Providing our students with the opportunities to apply classroom teaching to real world experiences – at our Northern Campus on Lake Temagami or through international programmes, is a critical element of our educational experience,” shares Fraser Grant, Assistant Head of School, Academics.
At Appleby, global thinking fosters an advanced education, and inspires students to embrace their role as global citizens.
Within the construct of international realities, Appleby recognizes the importance of community – both local and abroad. With an average class size ratio of 16-to-1, 760 students, mandatory grade 12 boarding, 7,400 alumni worldwide, and membership in the G20, Round Square, World Leading Schools Association and the Canadian Association of Independent Schools, plus community outreach and international service projects, Appleby promotes a community of students and responsibility. It is, in every way, a 21st century model for your child’s education.
- Long tradition of nurturing global awareness and leadership in its students.
2. First school in Canada as a member of Round Square – a worldwide network of schools.
3. International Service programme, which has students participating in service projects worldwide.
4. First North American boarding school with integrated global education programme (Diploma with Distinction in Global Leadership).
5. Provides students skills and characteristics required of a 21st century leader.
6. Residential life promotes understanding across different cultural, linguistic, and national backgrounds.
7. Community weekends, residential life learning, life skills, and citizenship initiatives augment curricula.
8. 760 students (487 day/ 273 boarding) with more than 7,400 alumni worldwide